Total Pageviews

Friday, August 12, 2011

Sapphique by Catherine Fisher


Here's a review on yet another Catherine Fisher book, but this time it is not on Incarceron, it is on the sequel, Sapphique. These books reach new heights in the fantasy, sci-fi, and steampunk genres. I really liked the first book, so reading the second was a must. (Plus, Incarceron is going to turned into a movie in the upcoming years, and I have this obsession with reading books before they get turned into films. Not to mention the fact that Taylor Lautner is going to star in it...)

If you don't know what Incarceron is about, check out my review on it, which you can find in the June archive of my blog. If you haven't read the first book, don't read my review on the second. It has spoilers galore.

Okay, now moving on to Sapphique:
Finn has at last escaped the cruel labyrinth that is Incarceron. He now lives in the Outside, and is ready to take the throne of the Realm, as he is the lost Prince Giles. Claudia has put all her faith in him, that he will one day be king and overthrow Protocol. But Finn soon discovers that being Outside does not mean he is free. The Realm is ruled by the evil Queen Sia, who is still plotting against Finn, Claudia, and her beloved teacher, Jared. But when a new claimant enters the scene, also claiming to be the lost Prince Giles, Finn must do everything in his power to convince everyone that he really is the true prince, because his life and Claudia's depend on it.

Meanwhile, Finn's oathbrother, Keiro, and former dog-slave, Attia, are still trapped inside Incarceron, seeking a way out. They search for a magic glove that Sapphique, the legendary man who escaped the prison, supposedly used to get out. But Incarceron, the prison that is alive, wants the glove too.
It's all great adventures and high stakes in Catherine Fisher's Sapphique.

This book was different from it's precursor, because in Sapphique, we don't only get to read through the views of Finn and Claudia, but we also get to learn more about Attia, Keiro, and Jared. This fact made the first book a bit more...tidy. But Fisher has the type of writing style where she leaves off every chapter and passage with a cliff hangar. I hate to say it, but to me it seemed a bit choppy. At least it kept the story moving though.

There were some new characters, but the best one was madman-magician Rix, who is there at the beginning and end parts of the novel. Gotta love the crazy guy. I also think the author did a great job with keeping the main charries true to themselves. Finn is still Finn (yeah, I can totally see Taylor Lautner playing him.) Claudia is still her cold and practical self (Emma Watson is rumored to be optioned for this role. She would be perfect!) Keiro is still Keiro, providing the comic relief at the perfect moments.

The worst thing about the book was the ending. I felt like not enough was explained. Maybe there will be a 3rd book? Even a simple epilogue would have been much appreciated, to me the end was rushed and a bit confusing. The end itself was not happy nor sad, more bittersweet. I read the final page with a question mark over my head.

I'll say it was good. I'll say it was interesting. The plot was constantly moving, there wasn't a dull moment to be found. I'm not sure whether I liked this or Incarceron better. But I can't wait for the movie! These are pretty good books, totally original and clever.

THE BOTTOM LINE:
A new adventure filled with action, bizarre situations, and cliff hangars.
3/5 stars

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was pretty good, but I definitely wasn't blown away. Not sure if I would read another one if one comes out, but it was decent enough to read the sequel.

    Great review!

    Amanda
    amandarosetew.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete